Seven Facts That Nobody told you to consider when choosing a contractor for a Second Story Addition
Elite Contractor Services is one of the top-rated home addition contractors in Northern Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC. We are considered “experts” in second story additions. We suggest you to take a look to some of the challenges you will encounter when building a second story addition to your current house.
- Second story additions affect the entirety of your home. The structural work on the first floor must be considered.
- The weight of an occupied second story room matters! Engineers must calculate how much the main floor can carry because your house addition may require additional foundation to remain in code.
- When a second story is added, often times furnaces, electrical panels and your water heater must be updated. All of these systems capacity are calculated base on square footage.
- You will have to extend your chimney when you add a second story and possibly upgrade older equipment.
- You should take a look at the age and style of your windows and siding before you begin adding a second story, because you will be matching all of this material on the second floor and most likely have to revise your entire exterior finish.
- If your home is built before 1978 your Second Story Addition Contractor may need to test walls for lead base paint. For removal of lead base paint in the disturbed areas an additional permit may be required. Local regulations differ in Virginia, Maryland, and Washington, DC.
- Work with a home addition contractor who knows how to keep the elements out of your home during construction, because you will have to remove the roof at some point!
Working with Elite Contractor Services will give you peace of mind as we are a top contractor servicing all of Northern Virginia, Washington, and the Maryland suburbs such as Rockville or Chevy Chase. Elite contractors Services has Builder Licence Class A VA, Washington DC Business License and MD home improvement License. If you’re looking for a home addition contractor, you can do no better!