An Attic Addition Doesn’t Have To Be Hard. 5 Tips from a Top Home Remodeling Contractor
If your attic space is underused or non-existent, consider an attic addition or renovation. Talk to your local home addition contractor in any city from Washington DC to Burke, Virginia, to Chevy Chase, Mayrland, about finishing your attic and turning it into an extra bedroom, home office, craft room or whatever type of living space you like. Adding a well designed attic room to your home or over the attached garage can return more than 90% of your spend in additional home resale value!
Crucial Considerations when remodeling your Attic or Converting it into an Addition
With these tips in mind, you’re on your way to a successful attic addition for your home:
- Where’s the plan? Make sure your attic addition goes smoothly by hiring an experienced, reputable top home remodel company such as Elite Contractors Services. This ensures that all the details of the new living space are well-thought-out and work is completed to code, resulting in a sturdy, attractive attic room that compliments your home.
- How’s the headroom? Your attic addition may benefit from a higher ceiling, since most attics have sloping roofs as part of their charm. Your home addition company may remove or raise a low attic ceiling to create a vaulted ceiling and take advantage of the space above it for ductwork and wiring. Your home remodeling contractor may need to add joists or rafter ties to maintain the structural integrity of your house.
- Shore up the floor: An expert home addition contractor will always ensure that your attic floor is strong and stiff enough for the new furniture and foot traffic it will support. Solutions might include laminating attic subflooring and/or increasing the number of girders and joists.
- Address access issues: You may need to add a door from another second-story room or a put in a staircase from a lower level.
- What about windows? Dormer windows add character to the space, while gable windows are less expensive to install. Let your home addition contractor provide specific pros and cons that apply to your attic, so you can make an informed decision about creating attic windows. You might also consider skylights for your new attic remodel.
Ready to get started? Contact Elite Contractor Services to finish your attic or create the ideal attic addition to meet your needs. We’re known as THE home remodeling company in cities as diverse as Reston and Mount Vernon in Virginia, of course Washington DC, and the Maryland suburbs such as Chevy Chase or Rockville, Maryland. Contact us today – we’re a small, family-owned home remodeling company and WE CARE!